Monday, October 09, 2006

MY FIRST DAY IN NYC! By Sarah Hillman-Stolz

I went downtown to find where my new accomodation was gunna be but got a little confused amongst the flying numbers of avenue and street numbers and found myself floating through the unknown tides of people and places with a soggy jet lagged sensee of self as I soaked up the sights of this city so strangely familiar.

For the first hour of walking down west 25th and Park Av glassy eyes and a Mary Tyler Moore expression woulddominate my disposition (but jet lag and a reputation for clumsiness prevented me from swinging around a street sign or throwning my hat in the air triumphantly - though I was definately close). I got over that soon enough as I realised I was a simple cliche. So I tried hard to, hense forth, not look like a tourist but after my wide eyes and pleasantly surprised little sounds at seeing my first live squirrel I thought I'd relent to the starry eyes 'tourist' sign that was firmly tattooed on my forehead! This is the reminence (spelling please?) of my day:

1. ....

Well! Just found out that all photo's have been erased somehow...but how? Any clues...weird.

Anyhow lets move on to diary entry DAY THREE then shall we:

Should be a sound asleep. Caved ro Jet lag last night. Though a desire to greet the day with bright eyed and bushy tailed exuberance. Slowly.

Past infatuations are the traffic of my mind this morning. Comforting nostalgia of experiences I know and understand as the bite of nusea of antisipation and new challenges tickles my stomach...Maybe its just hunger.

I feel alone but gratefully so after the showbox of a bed room shared with 14 strangers. I think I have found the perfect room. Small but I think of friends of friends who live in New York and think my quaint room is probably not much bigger - minus a kitchenette.


The sun is rising. I should be asleep but gave into Jet Lag..repetitive. With not a dollar to my name and
a dollar forty still owing to my place of residence, I couldn't afford a mid afternoon coffee taht was vital to getting through the day like a normal person. Had a nap @ 5-6 before dinner. Woke up at 8:30 tehn missed dinner. Bummer. Ate an apple. Woke up again at 2:30am after dreaming about random people (hi yolanda!) and now at 6am I sit and watch the sun rise and wet eye lashes and small droplets of slated water make a city that has felt like dream for the past couple of days become real.

Romance, Wilco and Gabrielle Garcia Marquez make for poetic thoughts.

Obnoixous observations are sure to return...

3 Comments:

Blogger Halley said...

oooh, squirrels. exotic. ;)

congratulations on finding a place! I can't believe you're only here for a month. oy.

stay longer.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah Hillman-Stolz said...

five weeks all up but trying to swindle some more time...somehow...

What weekend is good for you if I come to see DC?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah Hillman-Stolz said...

five weeks all up but trying to swindle some more time...somehow...

What weekend is good for you if I come to see DC?

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home