Saturday, November 04, 2006

So, like, right, I totally heard before I, like, totally left that, like, Americans are totally patriotic, right? Ok. So having spoken to, like, a couple of New Yorkers I hadn't really got the God Bless America punch in the face. Right?

Thus I mentally noted, in my morally-superior-cafe-latte-drinking-
university-educated-Australian-stereotype-denying way that in fact Americans,
or at least New yorkers, may not have been as
gun-to-your-throat-freedom-crying patriots as I had once conjectured.

Then one day, as I gazed wistfully, as only a young woman who wears flowers in her hair and douses herself in perfumed oils to immitate the feeling of love and romance whilst dreaming of life and sunshine beyond the present, such as myself, has a tendency to do, I noticed for the first time two star spangled banners whiping in the chilled like vodka wind of the New York fall morning.

The presupposed blueprint for the day was an adventure to Brooklyn to eat a pie and sauce, drink a real coffee, see a friend at her cafe and then to see an Ibsen play performed entirely in Norwegian.

In order to make the day a complete experience I thought I would create an activity in which to indulge so that the journey as well as the destination was full of culture and dimension.

And so was born:
Flags of The Neighbourhood

"Oh, where are the flags in your neighborhood?In your neighborhood?In your neighborhood?
Say, where are the flags in your neighborhood?The flags that you see each day."

The games began with a bang and a boom as 2 blocks from my dreamy abode...

Flag No.1
















Then 5 steps away...

Flag No.2









and with that I burned a hole through the ground and hurtled my way on a charging subway train, Brooklyn Bound - when really I should have just rode my bike and parked it outside an Italian Restaurant:

Flag No.3
















Me: Excuse me. Which way is Ataliantic Ave?

Passerby: Just turn left at the flag.

Flag No.4
















Brooklyn is in big bloom as a bustling borough for the arts thus:

Flag No.5









Patriotism is hiding everywhere:

Flag No.6
















This is a Marine Terminal - not as in "Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns" -Jack-Nicholson-in-A-Few-Good-Men kinda way. It is a place where boats dock and deliver things to the people of Brooklyn:

Flag No.7
















Flag No.8










Flag No.9









Please note I have only wlaked about 6 blocks at this point.

Flag No.10
















I was now running late for my Norwegian play, but this photo-taking-flaggy thing was taking over my soul...to point.

Flag No.11









Symbolic?:

Flag No.12
















I mean seriously! This was getting out of hand!

Flag No.13










And for the grand finale:

Flag No.14-19 aka: At Peace with Resistance.
















After 20 flags in less blocks and 3 hours I was beat and beaten -New Yorkers: Your retardedly over zealous patriotism is, well, its noted by this morally-superior-cafe-latte-drinking-university-educated-Australian-stereotype-denying-floral gurl.










God Bless America.

1 Comments:

Blogger Halley said...

dude. how many hours did we spend together and you still didn't know all Americans weren't all gun-toting, redneck, blind-patriotism idiots?! If I gave off that impression, then I have a serious problem. ;)

yeah, there are a lot of flags around, but you quickly learn to not even really see them. I'd worry about anything beyond that (the flags), but I think the flag here is just so *everywhere* that like anything super-saturated, it doesn't hold the same kind of impact. So I suppose if you're not used to seeing it around so much, seeing so many flags is a bigger *woah!*, y'know?

seeing flags on public buildings and shops is such a different thing, in my (American) mind, than patriotic people. does that make any sense?

a long-winded answer on something you were probably *so* over a while ago.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home